Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sleep

A lifetime ago, when I was pregnant with Abby, people would often offer tips and advice about how to prepare for life after we had children.  Without a doubt, the comment that scared me the most, was when people would say, "Sleep-in while you can, because once you have kids, you'll never get to sleep-in again."

You see, I have never been an early-riser.  I can totally see the wisdom in Ben Franklin's adage: "Early to bed and early to rise, " but unfortunately, I've never been able to incorporate it into my own life.  I've always enjoyed those late night hours when everyone else is asleep.  That's when I get my best reading, best TV-watching and best puttering done.  So, ten years ago, when I thought that kids were going to be the end of sleeping-in, it scared me a little.

There's a reason it's called, "sleeping like a baby."

If I'm being honest (and maybe a little dramatic) I have to say that my heart has ached for parents whose kids wake up before the sun.  I have heard horror stories of babies who are up every day at 6:00 am ready to start their day.  (What do you do with a child at 6:00 am?)   Fortunately for me, from the very beginning, my kids have liked to sleep-in as much as I do.  In our current situation, with school, play practice, piano lessons, soccer games and early church, we don't get to sleep in as often as we'd like, however, on days when we have nothing on the schedule, it's not unusual for my kids to sleep in until well after 9:00.

Last night, Andrew was at work overnight.  At some point during the night, Peter came and climbed in my bed with me.  I had the whole big bed with plenty of room for Peter, but his favorite way to sleep is curled up right next to me, breathing right in my ear.  At first, I tried to scoot him over to Andrew's empty side of the bed, but even in his sleep, he quickly found his way back to me.

Oh, how I love this sleepy boy.

Eventually, I gave up trying to move him, so at 5:30 this morning, when I should have been sound asleep, I lay in my bed and thought about how little time I still have with kids climbing in bed with me.   My heart grew tender as I listened to Peter's gentle breathing and to the sucking of his binky  - (yes, he's three and still has a binky.  Don't judge.)  In the pale light of morning, I looked at his hands gently cupped resting next to his head.  I felt the warmth of his little body next to mine and watched as his eyelids fluttered in his sleep.  I wanted to just freeze that minute - to keep it and preserve it, so that not-so-many-years from now, when my kids are grown, I can go back and hear that little breath and feel the warmth of that little boy.

Slowly, I fell back to sleep for an hour, with my little-son curled up next to me.  I am grateful for sleep.  I am grateful for kids who like to sleep-in, but at 5:30 this morning, I was filled with gratitude for that little boy who was making it difficult for me to sleep at all.

And, after I got up and got Abby and Isaac off to play practice, I was grateful that I got to go back in there and curl up next to my warm, still-sleeping little boy.

8 comments:

  1. Oh how I can relate to this! All of it. The love of sleep, the late-night puttering, the inability to love early morning wakeups... (although I did have to get up at 5:30 a.m. to finish a project last week, and was absolutely shocked at how productive I'd already been when the clock only said 9:30 a.m.) Mostly, I relate to having that snuggly child (mine's 6!) curled up next to you in bed, and how much I will miss it when she prefers her own to mine. Loved the post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been jealous of your sleeping in Elizabeth! This post is exactly how I have been feeling this whole year...I am breathing in all these little moments because one day you wake up and they are 16.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, that's so precious Elizabeth. I love everything you said. And I'm shocked and envious that your kids sleep in. Mine wake at 6:30 AM or earlier 100% of the time no matter what time we put them to bed. Last summer we started putting them to bed at 6:45, so at least we get some time at night. But I cannot wait until they can get their own breakfast and give a girlfriend some peace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, how I can relate to loving those late night hours and the sleeping in too. I wish it were a little more often these days. Thanks for the reminder to savor the moments with these cuties that are growing up so fast. Can't believe it is already time for Anna and Isaac to get baptized. What loves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ALL of my kids are up NO later than 7:15 and read for the day. I wish I could sleep until 9 every single day:) I am definitely not an early riser.

    Ruby has a binky and I still give her a bottle and she is going on 2 1/5...I don't see an end in sight yet:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm... another great post. You totally captured it, and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm praying for a baby like yours! I loved picturing Peter curled up right next to you. I love that boy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this last night and thought about it all day.

    I have a 3 year old who not only gets up early but also gets in bed with me multiple times a night.

    I don't love it...and wondered all day what my problem is...do we need a kind sized bed? do I need my husband to work nights? do I need to train my kids to sleep in? and I came to the conclusion that the answer is no to it all...what I need is a few lessons on being cheerful from you!


    I am going to give it a whirl when she comes in tonight. And I hope I can keep it going at 7 a.m...and I will think of you sleeping in! :)

    ReplyDelete