Saturday marked the last official day of summer for our family and throughout the day, Andrew kept saying, "We need to do something fun for our last day." (Apparently six hours at Raging Waters the day before wasn't enough to officially mark the end of summer.)
I told Andrew that there were several errands I needed to run and lots of things I needed to get done so the kids would be ready to start school on Monday. (Lunches aren't going to make themselves and school supplies aren't just going materialize in the kids' backpacks.)
Finally, late in the afternoon, after I had finished all the things I needed to do, Andrew suggested that we go to dinner as a family. It was blazing hot on Saturday so we headed up the canyon to Silver Fork Lodge to enjoy a last summer meal as a family. It was something we had talked about doing all summer and here was our last opportunity. For the record, the food there was mediocre and way over-priced, but the view is spectacular.
We had a great time at dinner. As we ate, we reviewed the summer and listed some highlights; the trip to California, the camp at "This is the Place", sewing lessons from Miss Ericson, the day at Raging Waters, Pioneer Day at the cabin, and, of course, welcoming Lucy into our family. All these things made the list. It had been an amazing summer.
After dinner, we drove home and ate ice cream cones on our patio. As the kids ate, I watered the flowers with the hose. Abby walked in front of me as I watered, and I squirted her feet with the hose - just a little at first, but then I squirted her body. Isaac started laughing and came over to join in so I squirted him too. Henry and Peter joined the fun and before we knew it, we were in a full-fledged water fight. Everyone was soaked and screaming and laughing hysterically.
It was so fun. It was 9:30 at night, the kids were all in their jammies and we were all running around the backyard soaking wet yelling, "Last day of summer water fight! Last day of summer water fight!" and Isaac was yelling, "No Better Group! No Better Group!"
Finally the kids were freezing and it was time to go to bed, so we dried them off and put them in dry clothes. As we were getting to bed, Abby said, "That was definitely one of the highlights of summer" and Isaac asked, "Can we do that again next year on the last day of summer?"
It really was the perfect ending to an amazing summer.
Holy cow, I look like a mean mom!

Andrew takes aim!

Freezing cold - but what a way to end the summer!
I love it! That is the cutest cutest picture of all of them all wet in their pjs! Those are some good memories you are making for you kids! Your a good mom ELizabeth!
ReplyDeleteWhat a perfect day!
ReplyDeleteMuch better than raging waters! The best moments are never planned are they?
ReplyDelete