Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Final Weeks

In these final weeks of my pregnancy...

In these final weeks,  I am taking time to enjoy Peter as my "baby."  There is a little ache in my heart as I snuggle and cuddle him, realizing that within a matter of weeks, he won't be the youngest any more.  I always have a hard time saying good-bye to one of my babies, even though I am so excited to welcome a new little love to the family.  Granted, there isn't any part of Peter that thinks he is a baby.  As far as he is concerned, from the day he started walking, he has been one of the big kids and demands his place among them.  

In these final weeks, I am still waiting for the nesting instinct to kick in and for that burst of energy that will give me the motivation to get everything ready for this new baby.  I have done NOTHING to prepare for her arrival but have big plans for getting organized next week.  We'll see how that works out.

In these final weeks, I keep hoping we'll come up with a name.  We have a list of about five names - however the names on that list seem to keep changing.  So far, nothing seems quite right.  I am still waiting for that bit of insight or inspiration that will help us know the right name for this girl.  Maybe once we meet this little lady...

In these final weeks, I keep wondering if the ultrasound was right and if we really are having a girl.  An ultrasound tech and a perinatologist couldn't both be wrong, could they?  

In these final weeks, I am resisting the urge to get take-out for dinner every night.  I am forcing myself to occasionally bend down and pick up a toy or two.  I am celebrating every two hour stretch of sleep I get without waking up to roll-over or to get up to go to the bathroom.  I am loving watching my entire tummy shift as this baby tries to get comfortable in her tight quarters.  I am grateful to the person who invented heartburn medicine and to the person who invented flip-flops.

In these final weeks I am loving this baby more than seems possible considering I haven't met her yet.  I am trying to imagine what she'll look like.  I am craving that newborn baby smell.  I am excited for Abby, Isaac, Henry and Peter to welcome her into our family and to see how much they'll love her.  I am appreciating Andrew for all the ways he picks up the slack when I am out of energy.  

In these final weeks of what will probably be my last pregnancy, I am reminding myself that these aches and pains and painful pokes are all a part of the greatest miracle I will be part of.  I am trying to treasure each moment and celebrate the wonder growing inside me.  

The countdown is on... 

9 comments:

  1. What a sweet post to remind us all that pregnancies are ALL bad:) So excited for you and your sweet family. Good luck! Can't wait to hear the name!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it's already time! I'm sure it's felt long to you, or maybe not. I can't wait to see that little one. I'm sure she'll be as beautiful as the rest.

    By the way I love the new pictures of the kids on ths side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth,

    That was so sweet and so true. I am so excited to meet this new baby girl. We need to get together before the big day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I so agree. Those last few weeks with your last "baby" are so precious and a little meloncholy. Transitions and change are hard even if you are welcoming it. Best wishes these final weeks. Can't wait to hear all about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh. Brought tears to my eyes. I was hoping for a baby belly picture. For some reason I love seeing what I have to look forward too! We will be thinking about you and praying for an easy delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are on my mind. Can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd bring you Martha's frozen Mac and Cheese if I could!

    I have stalked your blog recently wondering when she was going to come-can't wait to see pictures of her and to find out her name!

    Good Luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! I can't wait to hear the news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited for another girl for you and for sweet Abby to have a sister! I wish I had the energy to have another just so Sienna could have a sister. But knowing my luck it would be a boy...so we are done.
    But I am super excited for you guys...please make sure Andrew puts us on the call list!
    Hope it all goes smoothly and I so wish I could be there to come take your kids and bring you a yummy dinner! :(
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete